Danielle in Africa

This is my way to share with you what God is doing in my life and in Niger, Africa among the Sokoto Fulani

Friday, April 08, 2005

God "saved me a seat"

God is good! Our activity this afternoon is to have a personal spiritual retreat based on silence and solitude. We learned about the importance of preparing and nourishing our heart, ways to deepen our relationship with Him and spiritual discipline. So God led me away. I took a blanket, my bible, journal, pen, a bottle of water and my desire to be quiet and alone with God. A quiet adventure! I fashioned a backpack by tying my things up in the blanket and securing it with a rope. It was perfect. He led me to follow the north side of the lake and take the path from there. His creation is so beautiful! As I walked I saw where the lake fed into a stream and playfully fell over the rocks in its way. The stream soon led into the woods where brown, fallen leaves cover the rugged landscape. The stream began to widen as the banks turned into small cliffs providing a different view of the flowing water. I crossed the stream by relying on small stepping stones that barely kept my feet dry. As I continued, I felt like a person living during old testament times following God, waiting to hear the next place he would have me camp. I asked God for a place where I could meet with him and he would come to meet me there. As I continued to follow the stream it met with a river and became very strong. The cliffs were now very high and the sheer rock was just beautiful. I came to a place where a large rock jetted to the edge of the cliff and overlooked the river. I felt God ask me to stop there. I laid my blanket out and sat with God. It took a while for my mind to settle, so I waited, rested, sang praise songs and took in my surroundings. It was a good place. After an hour and a half I got up, packed my stuff and headed for the next place God would speak to me. En route he gave me a great calm, a feeling of peace and security. I got the feeling that what I needed was not a word from God, but rather his assurance. He is here. He sees me. He knows what I am doing and He is proud. As I followed the river back a ways, this time along the bank instead of atop the cliffs, I came upon a tree. It was a beautiful tree with whitish, tan leaves that are sparsely spread along the straight limbs. Its root system was amazingly complex but at the same time part of the whole tree with one purpose, to provide life. The most amazing part of the tree was found near its trunk. Part of the root system jetted out and created a semi-level surface. I felt like God had "saved me a seat." It reminded me of where I am on this journey. He has brought me every step of the way and has prepared this place for me. I am protected by the limbs, the trunk and the roots. I have a firm place to rest, everything I need and I am called to stay in his protection and watch the mighty river He is going to unleash in Africa. As the wind gently brushes my face and blows my hair I sit in the safety of an Almighty God who is in complete control. I do not know what lies ahead of me in Niger, but I have been given a mighty seat, in the presence of God.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danielle... We all miss you incredibly much, but are so blessed to have a friend that is so determined to seek His will. Know that we are always praying for you and are excited to share in your mountains and want to lift you up in your valleys of this life changing experience. You are one in a million, and I know i will daily look foward to see what exciting things God has put in your path. Your brother in Christ- Patrick. =)

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home