Danielle in Africa

This is my way to share with you what God is doing in my life and in Niger, Africa among the Sokoto Fulani

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Fulfulde class #2

Today was a very fun day! We had fulfulde class with our tutor from 9-12 and learned about numbers, two common verbs, two sets of vocabulary and simple sentences. We have been moving quickly, but it has been going very well. There are wonderful things about the language that make it less difficult to learn. One such thing is that the verb does not change like in spanish and french. The verb stays the same for all the present affirmative statements. The only thing that changes is the subject pronoun. That makes is a little easier. Of course it has its difficult points, too. One very interesting cultural difference that I have noted lies in the third person plural pronouns. In english we say "we" and any other languages I have heard do as well. Fulfulde has two pronouns for "we" one connotates we exclusively; excluding the one being spoken to; and the other connotates inclusively; including the one being spoken to. It is an interesting difference that really makes conversations easier once you can use it well. After lunch I went over my fulfulde notes again, typing them into the computer as I review. Then I took a short nap. Then I went to the tailor to pick up the last of my clothes that were being made. They are awesome! I was very pleased with the shirts and skirts. I spoke broken french to the others in the tailor's shop while I was waiting. I am never surprised by how much God can use my friendly attitude and almost zero language ability to begin conversations. After that I headed for a small shack that sells sugar, flour and basics like that. The owner is a fulani man that my supervisor knows pretty well. I got out my notebook and made a complete fool of myself trying earnestly to practice what I learned today with him. He was very patient and only laughed a little as I repeated the phrases and flipped pages in my notebook to find the meaning of what he replied to me. It was very encouraging, very fun and very good practice. I asked his name, age, where he is from and told him about me. He has three children and Mustafa was there with him so I asked his age. He is three. I got to play and with the kids and they warmed up very quickly. I learned their names and ages, too. Then I purchased sugar, the other reason for my visit and left with smiles and waves. I want to go back tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home