Danielle in Africa

This is my way to share with you what God is doing in my life and in Niger, Africa among the Sokoto Fulani

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Fulfulde practice

Today was day 5 of fulfulde class and it is tough. There is so much information being inputed that I don't know how or where to store it all. Classes run three hours a day/five days a week. That gives me time to go out and practice with people around town. Sumana is the Fulani man that I first was able to practice with. I went back to his house yesterday and asked to speak with his wife. She was very patient with me and allowed me to sit on the mat with her talking about all the words I know. She is very sweet and has a beautiful smile. After we ran out of words to talk about I began to ask for new words by pointing and asking. She took me into her small store and pointed out each thing telling me the fulfulde name so I could write it down. Then she took me into her house and pointed to everything in there. It was great! At this rate I will be speaking Fulfulde in no time! I went back the next day and she was preparing farimasa for her family. Farimasa is a fried sweet balls of bread made from flour, sugar, yeast and water. She told me how to make it, named off the ingredients and showed me just how to do it. Then, when they were finished she put sugar on top of them and shared some with me. They were comparable to Krispy Kreme, I would say. :) Maybe a little different, but so good! I decided to share something that I like to make, so this weekend I made chocolate chip cookies and took them to her house. I told her in my fledgling Fulfulde that she had shared with me and I was grateful so I baked her some cookies. She understood and took them into her house. I really enjoy our visits. She has three children who are very sweet, and the youngest one is a riot! He makes me laugh everyday. I can't wait to go see them tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home