Danielle in Africa

This is my way to share with you what God is doing in my life and in Niger, Africa among the Sokoto Fulani

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Amina and Mustafa


Amina and Mustafa
Originally uploaded by dkoepke.
This is my language helper Amina with her three year old son, Mustafa. I usually go visit her in the afternoons when she has a little time to sit and talk with me. She is very patient and lets me struggle with my Fulfulde to try to get across my meaning. She also helps me and talks about subjects that I have learned vocabulary for. She also uses words that are new to me and I try to figure out the meaning by asking for clarification. It is a very humblin experience, but I am glad to have it.

The dialect she speaks is just different from the dialect I am trying to learn. There are very few people in Niamey who speak this dialect, so talking with Amina is a good option. As soon as I get to Konni I will begin to learn the exact dialect that they speak.

In Niamey people also speak Zerma, Hausa, Tamasheq and French so I am learning a few greeting in each of those while I am in Niamey. Later, in Konni, I will want to learn a little bit of Hausa because a majority of people speak it in the eastern part of the country.

Until then, please pray for my language studies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home