Danielle in Africa

This is my way to share with you what God is doing in my life and in Niger, Africa among the Sokoto Fulani

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Church plant? We're planting millet!!

T'was the night before... You can hardly sleep because of the noises you hear on the roof... Expectation drives away sleep so you lay there thinking of what the next morning holds... Rain drips through the millet stalk roof onto your face... What, rain? It's not Christmas, it's the first rain of the season. The first rain in seven months! The wind storm that preceded the rain was brutal, but you knew that it would bring the cooling, much needed rain. Everything is now covered in dust, you just hope that the rain won't drip in the house too much and make everything muddy...

The rain was exciting for sure, but more exciting was the next morning when everyone was up extra early and heading out to the fields. Everyone usually wakes up around dawn (except me) but this morning even I was up and washed before the sun peeked over the hill in the distance. We hoisted millet out of the "silo" and pounded it to remove it from the stalks. Then, with a huge bag of millet and some small bowls we went to join some of the family that had already begun to plant. It was so exciting! All the children were out in the fields and talk was lively. Younger children were allowed to sit play with their siblings in the field as their mothers joined the older children and adults. There were two people with hoes and they were rhythmically digging holes as we followed them with our bowls. I was incredulously given a small bowl and instructed in the way to plant. They were worried that I would not be able to do it, but another adult in the fields would make everyone's work less so they agreed. I was instructed to throw a few kernels of millet in each hole and use my foot to sweep the dirt back into the hole. Like everything in their lives here in Africa there is a rhythm to everything. It took a little while to get a good rhythm going, but to their amazement I was able; not as good as the others, but able nonetheless.

We spent all morning in the fields working. The children worked most the time and played when they lost interest. I really wanted to help out so I worked as much as I could. We sang, talked, I asked questions and was laughed at like usual. It was a bonding experience for us in the fields and I really enjoyed being able to give back a little for all that I have been given. By 2 pm my stomach was growling so I was very excited to see that the Chief's wife brought some rice for us to eat. I ate thankfully. My planting partners told me to go back to the village and rest so against my will I went back to the house where I was staying. I did not realize how much sun I had gotten or how tired I was, but when I sat down and drank some water I knew I better lay down. Before I knew it I had fallen asleep and I slept hard. People came and went inside the hut, but I was out cold. I guess I needed the rest.

I was sore the next day and it was nothing but a pleasant reminder of the planting party. Pretty soon the millet stalks will be seen; bright green peeking out over the orange sand. Please pray that these plants will serve me as a reminder of the "seed" that God has given me to plant here. Also, pray that that seed, the Word of God, would take hold in the hearts and lives of the Fulani. The soil is hard and rocky, but God is faithful and His Word will never return void.

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

so is my word that goes from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:10-11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home