Danielle in Africa

This is my way to share with you what God is doing in my life and in Niger, Africa among the Sokoto Fulani

Monday, April 17, 2006

New Name!!

My original african name, Zeynabu, was given to me by a small girl in the first village that I visited. I loved the name, but the fact is that it is not a traditional Fulani name. It is descended from Arabic and is known throughout the Arabic world. I did some research to find a truly Fulani name, was helped by a few friends in a village near Konni. 


The results of the search have come in and my new name is........... Danejo.

It slightly resembles Danielle, which is a very cool coincidence, but it means lighter skinned. Idiomatically it is used to connote a very pretty girl in the Fulani culture. 

I apologize to those of you who already know me as Zeynabu; I understand if it takes you a while to make the switch ;) but thinking long-term I really enjoy having a traditional Fulani name. 

God is aware of the name change too, so don't worry if you mix them up. He will most definitely understand. 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danejo! In English that sounds like something scary. Like when you're driving to Konni and the oncoming bus prefers your potholes to his - then you in Dane-jo and you better move!
Ah, my old j-man friend. I like your new name. Way nicer than anything my old friends called me. This is the end of my day's contribution to your blog. Har assaghat!

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very appropriate name for one who is not only physically beautiful, but more importantly, spiritually beautiful. Praying every Fulani who meets you will see the spiritual beauty in your life!

Pat s

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home