Danielle in Africa

This is my way to share with you what God is doing in my life and in Niger, Africa among the Sokoto Fulani

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Rainy season is definitely here

I met rainy season first-hand just the other day while on my way back from visiting Kristen, a Peace Corps volunteer, in the neighboring village. The trip was not long; almost an hour on foot. My two friends and I left around 4 pm and the sun was bearing down on our backs as we walked east towards Farasawa. We met my friend and visited for about half an hour. We saw the storm clouds building but did not decide to leave until it was pretty clear that the storm was quickly approaching. We said goodbye and set out on the path towards our village. We were more than halfway home when the dust storm could be seen directly on our path. The winds moved in from the east hurling stinging sand all over us. I could barely breathe because the air was so thickly filled with dust. I covered my face with my shawl so I could protect my eyes and face. I could barely see through it to continue on the path, but I had not other choice. The wind was brutal, but I had no idea that the rain would be worse...

The rain started as small drops on my hands barely noticeable versus the stinging of the sand. Soon, however it increased to cold, wet bullets assaulting my back. I did not realize that water could hurt that much. My cohorts were insisting that we run, but we were still a ways away from home and running would not save us from the artillery that the clouds were hurling at us. Streams of water were forming along the path from water that would not sink into the ground. So, through the howling wind and piercing rain we walked as quickly as possible over the already rain-soaked earth.

The village came into view as I fought the wind and followed my companions to a nearby hut. We were soaked to the bone and the whole hut erupted in laughter as I poked my head in after my friends. They said, "Today, the American is completely soaked from her trip to the bush. " We all had a great laugh and I just marveled in my amazing surroundings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home