Danielle in Africa

This is my way to share with you what God is doing in my life and in Niger, Africa among the Sokoto Fulani

Thursday, September 15, 2005

New Experiences in Konni

Now I am in Konni, and a man just came to my home asking for money. It was so weird. He is traveling through and had to stay an extra day or something after his money ran out. He was speaking French. I offered him bread that I had. He talked about how that was not anything worth eating and that I should give him money. I explained that I did not plan to give him any money because I did not know him (culturally appropriate) but that I wanted to help him. I gave him the bread and also gave him a small can of tuna that I had. He then told me that the tuna was very good, but it was not enough. He told (not asked) me to give him another can of tuna. I politely told him that that was all I could help him with. I was struck with incredulity with the way he spoke to me. He definitely spoke down to me, even while asking for help. It was a new experience for me, but I am sure it will not be the first. Pray for me as I encounter people asking for help that I would know when they truly need help and when they are simply looking for a handout.

1 Comments:

Blogger Seng said...

HI. I hear you girl. When people came to me with that perspective in Mali, what they needed to see in me was, a strong will and a giving heart. Blessings.

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home