Danielle in Africa

This is my way to share with you what God is doing in my life and in Niger, Africa among the Sokoto Fulani

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Culture Shock...

Okay, so maybe my plans for hopping on the New York City Subway and poking around Manhattan wasn't one of my best ideas. I was a little uneasy having so many people and things to look at and so many choices to make in such a short amount of time. I wanted to buy something for breakfast, but could not decide and then the clerk at the deli was forcefully shouting "NEXT, NEXT." I did not know what to do because I had not decided what I wanted so I just pushed a small cookie in his direction. He rang it up and was demanding money before I could even figure out what kind of cookie it was. It was so awkward to be so incapable in my own culture. Also, I am noticing that I walk slower and need to talk to the people in the store instead of hastily buying my items and rushing out of the store. I had a whole conversation with a store manager about the umbrellas on the rack. There were too many to choose from so I asked him to choose for me. He explained his take on what the colors signified and I had a great time hearing what he had to say. I then picked a cheap, but quality looking red one (no surprise there) and made my way to the cashier. Here's a picture that I took of my subway experience. From village to concrete jungle in hours. Talk about culture shock...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home