Danielle in Africa

This is my way to share with you what God is doing in my life and in Niger, Africa among the Sokoto Fulani

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Fulfulde Proverb

Fulfulde is a very interesting language. It is not without its difficulties, but I know there are more difficult languages even in this country. My classes are going very well. I am having a blast in classes; I am motivated to study and do my best; and my tutor says I am doing well enough to surprise him. That is encouraging.

Today I learned a Fulfulde proverb that is straight to the heart of Fulani culture. It is beautiful and I wanted to share it with you.

Kangal yehata to berne hida.

It means the legs don't go where the heart does not love/want. In Fulani culture it is used when someone comes to visit and you ask them why they have come. They reply that they would not have come if their heart did not want/love the people. It struck a deep chord with me because it describes my place in this culture. My legs would not have brought me here if my heart did not love these people. I am so content being here, even through the difficulties because God has given me a love for these Fulani.

Think about it. Where is your heart leading you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home