Danielle in Africa

This is my way to share with you what God is doing in my life and in Niger, Africa among the Sokoto Fulani

Sunday, July 24, 2005

God is good!

So, I got the chance to tell my new friends about Jesus today and I felt as if I was being impeded with every word that came out of my mouth. I was visiting with Mariama, Ali's wife, and we talked for probably over an hour while she cooked. I played with the baby, we listened to music. It was good. Then, after dusk, the call to prayer was heard in the distance. Two men, Ali and his friend, (sitting 100 feet away, by themselves) began to ready themselves for prayer. I had never seen these women praying, so I didn't know if Mariama and her sister were going to pray. Well, they both got up and started to get ready as well. I told them that I didn't pray like that, and they just let me sit while they began. Mariama had her baby, Aishatu, tied to her back and the four of them began the rituals of standing, kneeling, lowering their heads to the sand and standing up again. This went on for about 3-5 minutes. Meanwhile, I was praying for their salvation. I was praying hard for their empty rituals and empty hearts. I was the only believer there, but I pitied them and their loneliness. After they were done, the Holy spirit gave me the boldness to seize the opportunity. I started the conversation. "I don't pray like that, but I do pray." How do you pray, she said. "AAAcckkk," I said, swallowing a few mosquitos. I began coughing, feeling Satan using whatever to shut me up. "I pray to God in the name of Jesus." "Oh," she said. I continued, "I learn about him in Dewtere Alla" (the bible). I stumbled along, searching my brain for the words. I prayed for the words. "He is God's son. I talk to God and He talks to me." Then I showed her what I do to pray, head bowed, eyes closed.

My Fulfulde was very slow, and choppy, but whatever it takes, right? Mariama did not react much. I am sure she is being blinded and deafened by the lack of Jesus in her life. But it is a start. I was encouraged by this opportunity. I know God has a purpose for me here, even while I wait to go to Konni.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home